Orchard Trail Days will be held during this Labor Day Weekend, September 4 – 7, to kick-off the 2020 apple harvest season. The season begins in late August and runs through mid-November. During the weekend many of the orchards will be offering crafts, family fun activities such as corn mazes, apple cannons, inflatables, wagon rides, food trucks and tours.
North Carolina is the 7th largest apple-producing state in the nation and Henderson County is the largest apple-producing county in North Carolina. Henderson County growers produce 85% of North Carolina’s apple crop, which generates about $30 million to the local economy.
Some of the earlier varieties harvested in Henderson County include Ginger Gold, Gala, Fuji, Jonagold and the popular Honey Crisp. The most widely grown apples are Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Rome Beauty. In addition, a number of other fall varieties come in later October include Pink Lady, Granny Smith, Stayman, Winesap and Cameo. The taste of the fruit varies depending on the kind of apple ranging from sweet or tart.
Fresh apples, pumpkins, cider, produce, baked goods, jellies, honey and many other items may be purchased at any of the many roadside apple markets or produce stands located throughout Henderson County. Some orchards allow you to pick your own apples.
Several of the stops along the way, will feature craft vendors, selling such items as: pottery, soap, wreaths, aprons, jewelry and baskets. Food Truck menus include hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken wings, lemonade, soda and more.
Orchard Trail Days will follow federal and state mandated guidelines for cleaning, social distancing and limiting crowd size. The self-guided Crest of the Blue Ridge Orchard Trail brochure allows you to have the flexibility of mapping out your own route by starting at the business of your choice.
Click for a complete listing of Henderson County orchards or to download a copy of Blue Ridge Orchard Trail brochure. If you would like a hard copy of the brochure stop by the Visitor Center, 201 South Main Street, in downtown Hendersonville.
Visit Downtown Hendersonville to shop and dine after your orchard experience. There are a variety of restaurants that offer outdoor seating and numerous retail shops full of unique treasures.
Participating Henderson County Apple Orchards
- Apple House & Owenby Orchards, 3807 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-9917
This family farm offers a large selection of apples, other fruits and veggies, a corn maze, preserves, cider, pickles, and more.
- Coston Farm & Apple House, 3748 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-8352
Offers we pick or pick your own apples, wagon rides through the orchard, pumpkins, cider, baked goods, gift items, preserves and more.
- Creasman Farms, 280 Bent Arrow Lane, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-7728
The Farm offers a U-Pick orchard, fruits and summer vegetables, baked goods, cider, and apple butter. Craft vendors will be on the grounds Saturday & Sunday from 9am – 6pm. Food trucks include Cousin’s Lobster Truck on Saturday & Pigs in a Blanket on Sunday from 11am-6pm.
- Freeman Orchards, 3016 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-3311
Offers a large selection of heirloom apples, jellies and jams, fresh cider, pumpkins and squash, and fresh fried apple pies.
- Grandad’s Apples N’ Such, 2951 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-1685
The Farm offers We-pick & U-pick apples, peaches, pumpkins, apple products, cider, baked goods, and family activities, including farm animals, corn maze and a cow train. Craft vendors will feature such items as baskets, aprons, artwork and more. Food will also be available from: a Wing Truck and Hot Dog Stand.
- Henderson Farms, 705 Tracy Grove Road, Hendersonville, NC 28731, 828-698-7416
Offers apples, cider, pumpkins, fruits and vegetables.
- Holt Orchard, 17 Holt Pond Drive, Flat Rock, NC 28731, 828-685-9080
Offers apples, take & bake apple crisp, honey, apple cider donuts, cider and many other items.
- Jeter Mountain Farm, 1126 Jeter Mountain Road, Hendersonville, NC 28739, 828-226-9454
The Farm offers 23 varieties of apples available in their U-Pick orchards, pumpkins apple cider donuts, apple butters, garden salsas, baking mixes, hand made soaps and wagon rides. The Flat Rock Cider Co.Taproom at Jeter Mountain Farms serves six hard ciders on tap, including a special Jeter Mountain Farm original blend available only at the Jeter Mountain Farm Taproom.
- Jimmy Nix & Sons Apple House, 3642 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Offers apples, cider, peaches, pears, cabbages, apple cider donuts, jams, jellies, honey, crafts and so much more. Special vendors for the weekend include Kilwin’s making their famous caramel apples, Papa & Nana’s Fried Pies making old fashioned fried pies while you wait, and Belle’s Ciao Wagon serving a variety of food.
- Justus Orchard, 187 Garren Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-8033
Offers U-pick and we-pick apples, cider, pumpkins, vegetables, canned goods, picnic area and children’s activities. Barbecue is available on the grounds.
- Linda’s Plants & Shrubs, 308 Stepp Acres Lane, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-0738
Linda’s greenhouses offer annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, hanging baskets, herbs, seasonal vegetables, jams, jellies and garden art. They also have acres of apples and pumpkins for u-pick or we-pick as well. BBQ on weekends Labor Day thru October and a Bluegrass band September 5th from 1pm-4pm. Kids can enjoy an indoor pumpkin maze.
- Lively Orchards, 1115 Upward Road, Flat Rock, NC 28731, 828-691-9889
Offers apples, fresh cider, pumpkins, Asian pears and cherries.
- McAbee’s Fruit Stand, 1 McMurray Road, Flat Rock, NC 28731, 828-693-0193
Offers apples, produce, honey, canned goods, cider and more.
- McConnell Farms, 177 Old Dana Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-692-2819
Family owned farm offering figs, fresh ginger, vegetables, apples, preserves, ciders, pumpkins, baked goods and homemade ice cream, and crafts.
- Mountain Fresh Orchard, 2887 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-7606
Offering apples, cider, pumpkins, honey, molasses, produce, baked goods, sauces, preserves, apple cider donuts, fried pies, fritters and more; FREE rides on The Apple Express train through the orchards (weather permitting), canned goods and fresh produce.
- Odell Barnwell & Sons, LLC Farm, 2900 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-7300 or 828-685-7575
Offers apples, cider, vinegar, jam, honey, pumpkins, vegetables, and berries.
- Owenby’s Fruit Stand, 4500 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-691-4397
Offers cider, apples, pumpkins, peaches, jellies, vegetables, honey, preserves, sorghum molasses and more.
- Pilot Mountain Pears, 865 Pilot Mountain Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-2605
Offers We-Pick and U-Pick apples and Asian pears, and baked goods.
- Sky Top Orchard, 1193 Pinnacle Mountain Road, Flat Rock, NC 28731, 828-692-7930
Family business offering We-pick or U-pick apples, apple cider donuts, cider, hayrides, jams, jellies and honey. Several craft vendors will be located at the orchard selling their products.
- Stepp’s Hillcrest Orchard, 170 Stepp Orchard Drive, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-685-9083
The 100 acre Farm offers over 20 varieties of U-pick apples. Apple cider donuts are made fresh daily. Enjoy other fun farm activities such as: the 5 acre corn maze, apple cannons, tractor pulled wagon rides and jump pad. Shop inside the apple house for delicious apple butter, jellies, honey, kettle corn and handmade soap.
- Twisted Apple Orchard, 4039 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792, 828-712-1919
Twisted Apple Orchard is Henderson County’s only organic apple orchard that is open to the public. Offering we-pick apples, seasonal fruits, organic baked goods, jellies, ice cream, donuts, seasonal decor, gift items and more. The Ryan Perry Band will be playing live on Saturday at 5pm. A food truck will be available on Sunday.
In support of the Henderson County apple orchards, local radio station, WTZQ-AM,1600, is hosting an Orchard Trail Days contest for a chance to win a $250 gift card – no purchase necessary!! Just enter the contest by going to https://www.wtzq.com