St. John In The Wilderness Church and Cemetery Guided Tour
October 20 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
A tour of the historic church and cemetery of St. John in the Wilderness in Flat Rock will be held on Sunday, October 20, at 3 p.m., sponsored by the St. John Episcopal Church Women. It will begin outside the Carriage Door entrance of the church and be led by long-time church docents Albert Gooch and Ken Jones. The tour will last about an hour, Please wear comfortable shoes.
The Church was built in 1833 and deeded to the Episcopal Church of North Carolina in 1836, when it was only used as a summer church for Charlestonians summering in Flat Rock. These days, the church is used year-round and is one of the oldest church buildings in the area. The cemetery is of historic significance, with graves of men and women whose names are written in the history books of South Carolina and the United States. First Families of the early years of our country, descendants of signers of the Declaration of Independence, influential politicians of the 19th century, military leaders and others of note are buried in the churchyard.