Historic Henderson County Courthouse
Historic Henderson County Courthouse (1905) was designed by Richard Sharp Smith, the “resident architect” of Biltmore House. The focal point of the Courthouse is atop of the copper dome, a 6-foot statue of “Lady Justice.” The statue is the Greek goddess Themis (“The Greek Goddess of Divine Justice and Law”) who is without a blindfold, holding a sword in her right hand and scales in her left. It is believed to be only one of only three in the United States without a blindfold, statues of Themis/Justice are blindfolded to typify that Justice should be impartial. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.